Today is Reformation Sunday. We just watched the movie "Luther" . . .not too bad.
Today I found out it was Reformation Sunday. Let me write that a different way . . .
Today I found out it was reformation sunday.
Why do I emphasize that word?
I've been a "good Church-going Christian" my entire life (please see the humor in that) and I cannot remember once hearing about this important day. A day all protestants at least should remember and celebrate (I think all those that would call themselves "Christians" would find this day worthy; it even caused the Catholic church to fix itself). I akin this day to July 4th for Americans.
Why was I never told about this day? Was it because I was being told a more imporatant truth; that of the evil of celebrating halloween? Was it because reformation day isn't in the bible? Did they just think everyone knew this? Did they just not know or think it was important enought to talk aobut?
Perhaps they didn't know about reformation sunday? Perhaps they were too busy trying to repeat history, laying burdens of rules and fear in order to keep their status quo to not tell those of us that would be influenced by luther in case we threw off the burdens they were now laying on us?
Did you know it was reformation sunday?
an opinion left unchecked is soon considered truth. - the pete
Sunday, October 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I didn't know it was Reformation Sunday, but being an Anabaptist, it kinda makes sense that I wouldn't.
but the only reasons the anabaptists exist is because of the reformation.
why shouldn't you know about it?
Something inside won't allow me to call you dufflehead (grin).
There are many who attribute the rise of the Anabaptist as a continuation of the Paulitians and others persecuted by the RC Church during the dark ages. They don’t consider themselves as being associated with the reformation (I include myself in that silly group!). ;-)
It's not that I don't know about it... it's that I don't have any reason to know the date. I also don't know the exact date of when Conrad Grebel baptized George Blaurock, but I know the story. I haven't made a holiday out of either event, though.
Also, as kc mentioned, while the reformation was part of what created the environment in which the anabaptist movement was formed, I wouldn't consider it a direct offshoot of Luther's 95 theses.
... I realize I didn't mention one of the important points. Being an anabaptist (or, at least, my particular breed of anabaptist) I don't celebrate many holidays at all, at least not in church. Not Reformation Sunday, Pentecost, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, or really anything beyond Christmas and the Easter-related holidays (such as Good Friday).
Many of these days are celebrations of important past events, some religious and some secular, and most are worthy of knowing about (whether or not they're celebrated), but none of them were major "holiday occasions" in the MB church. I've learned about most of these days, but I'd have to check a calendar to find them.
So, perhaps I should have answered "no, I did not know this specific day was reformation sunday."
so, sometimes i live up to my name . . . thanks for the input on this.
using your information i went here . . .this would explain why the reformation was never mentioned in my past life.
however, i also don't remember there being any mention of a church line that followed peter and a church line that followed paul. shouldn't the protestants have something simillar to the "catholic school". isn't it important to know our history so we don't keep screwing up just like everybody else did?
. . . i was going to bring up paul, but we'll finish the current multi post line of thought first. i'm sure paul will show up.
correction
i'm not as much of my name as i first thought.
check out these apples
(special thanks to my wife for keeping me on the search)
The Trail of Blood is one attempt to chronicle the persecuted Church through the dark ages. Another good read is Foxes Book of Martyrs".
sometimes i think blogger is out to get me . . .here's the fixed link for my wife
Post a Comment