Ever had one of those days where an epiphany shows up, hangs out for a while, and then starts running around knocking everything over?
Try this on for size:
If the sacrifice of Christ was atonement, and in place of the rites of the Israelite priests because, honestly, we just weren't ever going to get it right, then that means that the death of Christ atoned everyone.
Let me repeat that: everyone. (that means even the people that never say the magic words) that means that the evangelical / traditional christian interpretation of "becoming saved" is a misconception.
Christiandom wants what all people really want; power. Now, modern day christians don't really know that they want this power (let's hope) they might not even see this as a "power thing". But that's what it is. "Did you say these certain words?" "Who lead you to Christ?" "Did you come forward during the invitation?" . . .
Do you see the language of control . . .the need to be the one that "saved" someone?
The point is, everyone is already saved, saying the right words doesn't do it. Saying the right words only lets you into the club. It's the code words; the magic words. It's time for a new definition.
The closest I've come to what I believe the point of Christianity is (today anyway) is not "saving people" . . . it is "awakening people".
You see, there are a lot of people in this world that believe and understand the interconnectedness of all things and the injustice and wrong that are being done everyday. More often than not, these people are not "Chritianized". These people do something about the wrongs in any way they are capable. And the doing something about it is bringing the kingdom of God to this earth.
What does this mean to you "Christians"? It means that though you are in the club, you may not be "working for the kingdom". In fact, by simplifying the faith (it's hard to not throw those words around, isn't it?) you are actually doing a disservice to those that are doing the work but do not see the whole picture; they are not awake to it. And, you are misleading those that don't see any of the picture other than the religious culture you are advertising. You are not saving anyone; they are already saved. People are not "seeking" your weekly get together, they are seeking the bigger picture and you are not showing them any of it.
Maybe i'll expand more tomorrow, if anyone is listening.
an opinion left unchecked is soon considered truth. - the pete
Monday, October 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I may not be agreeing but I am listening. ;-)
I think this is right on with what Dan was saying to me awhile back. You'll have to get him to explain it better to you, but I know Jesus put more emphasis on motivation and action than empty forms of religion.
And, I agree completely. Plus, I think you are super-hot!! :)
Speaking as one who's club membership has been all but revoked, I agree that the "say these words" and "come down here and meet Jesus" borders on idiocy. I also agree that most Christians are working for Christianity, not Christ. But I stumble on the part where everyone is saved.
How do you reconcile "we're all in" with some of the scripture references to "those who are perishing," "Depart from me. I never knew you," and Jesus' story that put Lazarus at Abraham's bosom and the rich man in hell?
ps. Your wife called me fat. Do I look fat? Really? It's water-weight, I swear.
I'm kinda waiting to see your approach to the scripture on this as well,plus I want to know how to be super hot! ;-)
When Jesus talks about being saved, I think He's talking about more than just atonement. He's also talking about reconciliation and intimacy with God.
One of the many flaws in the traditional interpretation is that they treat salvation as just atonement and nothing else... like, all you need to be saved and go to heaven is to have your sins covered. But that's only half of the picture -- sin separates you from God, and having the barrier of sin torn down is good, but the point of atonement is that it opens the way so that you can be with God instead of being separated. You never hear Jesus (or any of the disciples) tell people "come, have your sins covered and then leave"; the atonement is always treated as the first step, the gateway through which an intimate relationship with the Father is formed. Jesus didn't die just to cover our sins and have us nod our heads in acknowledgement; He died to cover our sins so that we could then go to the Father. (The Israelite high priest, after the atoning sacrifice, would go in to God in the Most Holy Place. Making the sacrifice and then standing outside would've been absurd.) Jesus' criticism in Matthew 7:23 wasn't that "you haven't been atoned for" or "you didn't say the magic words" or "you didn't do the right things on earth"; it was "I never knew you."
Everyone out there is atoned for, whether they know it or not. But not everyone draws near to God now that He has opened the way; some remain separated. Our responsibility (the purpose of Christianity) is to help people to draw nearer to God. A lot of the time, this means awakening them, but it also can mean encouraging those who have already been awakened (regardless of how they were awakened or what they call themselves.)
I totally agree, it's time for a new definition. Or, rather, it's time to return to the original definition. We don't need the magic words, or the exclusive club, or even the idea that you have to know what a Bible is to be saved. We just need people to know they can approach God with confidence because Jesus covered everyone's sins.
Post a Comment