Since Mr. Bush has all but directly said that the real reason we've been in Iraq is for their oil (see the latest speech and reference the benchmarks), I thought I might bring in a couple of figures that I thought were important for this occasion.
bodies sacrificed to liberate Iraqi oil: between 50,000-660,0000
money spent by the U.S. to liberate Iraqi oil: $357,000,000,000
tax subsidies given to oil companies during the liberation of Iraqi oil: $6,000,000,000 (per year)
the look on every member of the administration when they get kicked out (i'm hoping for expatriation, myself): priceless.
think about these numbers the next time you start to complain about how much of your wallet is used to fill up your vehicle.
there are ways to correct this, but it will take all of us.
an opinion left unchecked is soon considered truth. - the pete
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Another interesting factoid: the cost of the Iraq war has already exceeded the estimated cost of achieving Kyoto compliance for the United States. That was supposed to wreck our economy. So instead of having cleaner air and more renewable energy, we have elected to invest in war, destruction and instability. Way to go.
(and by the way, I supported the war and at least can admit that I was dead wrong on the issue)
Let's not forget that more Iraqis have died as a result of the war than died under Saddam.
Post a Comment