I mentioned a while back that I would inform all of you that if I were to run and be elected president the things I would attempt to accomplish.
Here is the first part of that list:
1. I would have no running mate and would accept the second, third, and fourth runners up as my presidential council. No two of us could be from the same political party.
2. Congressional term limits of 6 years.
3. Dismantling and destroying our nuclear stockpile.
4. Alaska and Hawaii, specifically but all states generally, would have the options to no longer be part of the United States. Puerto Rico would have the option to accept statehood or not be a colony of the United States any longer.
5. Universal health care.
6. No more subsidies for big anything (oil, business, etc)
7. No more individual political contributions. There will be a pool of money that all candidates will be able to pull from.
8. Cracking down on "money for law". The FBI is doing a decent job of this currently. We just need to make sure they keep it up.
9. No more surveillance of U.S. citizens.
10. We will individually ask each country in which we have a military base if they will permit us to stay there and what we can do in return for that privilege.
11. Income caps for CEO's. When the rest of the nation catches up in wealth with the richest few, we will remove the caps. This process of course could be expedited, but that takes a great deal of sacrifice for the richest few.
12. Taxes that makes sense. "To whom much is given, much is expected"
13. No more reliance on oil.
14. Until every American has a job, no jobs will go to foreign nations.
15. Our foreign policy will reflect our new understanding that we are not the only people on this planet and that we have a responsibility to act like, and treat other nations as, adults.
It's amazing to me, in creating this list, how much we have to undo from our past several decades to get back on the path of the original ideals that brought this nation into existence in order to take those ideals to the next level.
an opinion left unchecked is soon considered truth. - the pete
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
The second part of your list should include an increase in foreign aid. We're already the most generous nation on earth. I think we should increase the margin of our lead.
Fun stuff, bro.
DAMMIT!
My comment included a detailed response to each item on your list. It all got deleted, except for the last paragraph.
Well, that was 20 minutes wasted. Fuck. Sorry, dude, I don't have time to try to rewrite all that. Maybe I'll try again later.
Crap. I was brilliant, too.
i hate it when that happens. looking forward to it.
Regarding point #14.: It should read (just for clarification) "until every American who wants one has a job...."
More later; the timer to wipe the stain is beeping.
I'm pretty sure we're not the most generous nation on the planet.
If we keep things up, gas will be about $10 a gallon by 2012, so hopefully by then we'll have come up with a solution to that one by then. :)
man...that's a list...ummm...start your campaign today...we'll probably vote in 2009 for the 2012 president at the rate these primaries seem to be scheduled.
Post a Comment